UAB could potentially set a school record for consecutive wins this weekend against conference foe UTEP.
Previous game for both teams.
- UAB (12-3, 2-0) defeated UTSA Wednesday night 104-82 for their ninth straight win and 18th straight at home. The Blazers moved into first in CUSA with the win and shot an amazing 70 percent from the floor.
- UTEP (10-6, 2-1) fell to Middle Tennessee Wednesday night 78-72. The game was a close one from start to finish with many lead changes.
A look at the Miners.
UTEP has many offensive weapons with six different players averaging 10 or more points a contest. Three players for the Miners are averaging five or more rebounds per contest.
- The Miners are led in scoring by guard Lee Moore. He averages 14.4 points per game as well as 5.4 rebounds per game. He is not a high percentage shooter overall, but is a high volume shooter taking an average of 11 shots per game. He is also very capable of getting to the free throw line as he is shooting an average of 6 free throws per game.
- The Miners second leading scorer, and in my opinion the most dangerous, is guard Omega Harris. He averages 13.1 points per game and 2 rebounds per game. He is a dangerous shooter in that he is averaging 45.4 percent from the floor and 40 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Miners also have a big man scoring in double figures. Earvin Morris Jr. is a forward for the Miners averaging 11.8 points per game along with 3.7 rebounds per game.
Connor’s Keys to the game.
- Perimeter D: As we saw with UTSA, UTEP is a heavily guard-led team that is more than capable of scoring from beyond the arc. If the Blazers can keep perimeter shots to a minimum, while also keeping them off the offensive glass they will be able to control the tempo of the game. We cannot allow someone to score 36 points on us again.
- Rebounding: As I just said above, rebounding is big. Preventing offensive rebounds for the other team prevents second chance points.
- Stay hot shooting: The Blazers need to keep taking good shots. That means uncontested shots off of good passes that have a high percentage of going in. They also need to ride the confidence boost of shooting 70 percent into this game and keep the shots dropping.
UAB-UTEP games are always close and have a crazy finish and I expect this game to be no different. I believe if we are able to build on the success of the UTSA game and play tighter perimeter defense that we can win this game.
UAB 74 UTEP 70