UAB (13-3, 3-0) held on down the stretch to defeat the Miners (10-7, 2-2) of UTEP 87-80. The Blazers were led in scoring and rebounding by William “Haha” Lee who had 18 points and 12 rebounds. He also contributed 5 blocks and 2 assists. The Miners were led by Earvin Morris who scored 23 points and shot 5-6 from the three-point line.
- UAB – 26-68 for 38.2 percent
- UTEP – 29-62 for 46.8 percent
- UAB – 8-27 for 29.6 percent
- UTEP – 8-17 for 47.1 percent
- UAB – 16 offensive and 48 total
- UTEP – 7 offensive and 40 total
- UAB – 18 assisted baskets
- UTEP – 16 assisted baskets
- UAB – 8 blocks/ 7 steals/ 8 turnovers
- UTEP – 7 blocks/ 3 steals/ 13 turnovers
Personal thoughts and opinions.
The Blazers continue to show a lot of grit and fight in close games. We played very well for stretches and not so well in others. We did not shoot the ball very well today, especially compared to the game against UTSA, but we were able to get to the free throw line and made 75 percent of them. All-in-all, it was another good Blazer win against a good UTEP team that I expect will bounce back quickly and win a lot of conference games. Next up for the Blazers is an away game at Old Dominion.