De’Eric “Duke” Culver (2016) is rumored to be transferring to UAB from Louisville. Culver is a 6’0, 182 pound cornerback originally from Tallahassee, Fla. He chose Louisville over scholarship offers from Cal, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina. In his 2014 freshman campaign he appeared in six games on special teams. As a sophomore, this season, he recorded 10 tackles (9 solo). More information on Culver’s interest in UAB will be presented as it becomes available.
The UAB coaching staff extended an offer to Cameron Mackey (2016) on Friday, January 8th. Mackey is a 5’10 179 pound all-purpose back from North Marion High in Citra, Fla. He lists offers from UAB, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Kent State, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, and Youngstown State. A member of the Florida All-State Class 5A team, Mackey recently turned heads everywhere when he ran back a kickoff for 99 yards in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl. The belief is that he is set to choose between Cincinnati and Kentucky, but the Blazers are hoping to make things interesting late.
Chris Woolbright (2016) has set up a visit to UAB on January 29th. Woolbright is a 6’3 230 pound JUCO outside linebacker for the Fresno City College Rams in Fresno, Calif. The Region 1 All-California First Team Defensive award recipient is still learning the ropes at the linebacker position as he spent most of his football career playing the safety, tight end, and wide receiver positions. The all around player claims offers from UAB, Idaho, Texas State, and Wyoming. Coach Jeremy Hawkins and the rest of the UAB staff will look to land a commitment from Woolbright later this month.
UAB looks to have received a recent visit from Kylen Binn (2016). Binn is a 6’6 230 pound quarterback at Hutchinson Community College. He played in 11 games for Hutchinson this past season while throwing for 1,536 yards and 17 touchdowns. Binn received a preferred walk-on offer from Oregon back in January 2015. At 6’6 with a 4.6 40, Binn is certainly an intriguing prospect.
Most up-to-date list of players committed to UAB and set to sign in Spring 2016:
· Maquedius “Quay” Bain – 6’4, 300 pounds. Defensive tackle. Pear River C.C. in Poplarsville, MS
· Earl Chambers – 6’2 195 pounds. Safety. Merced College in Merced, CA
· Jonathan Charles – 6’1 240 pounds. Inside linebacker. Los Angeles Valley College in Van Nuys, CA
· Tyler Johnston – 6’2 212 pounds. Dual threat quarterback. Spanish Fort High School in Spanish Fort, AL
· Andrew Marshall – 6’8 360 pounds. Offensive tackle. Globe Institute of Technology in New York, NY
· Tyler Marshall – 6’5 225 pounds. Pro style quarterback. Northview High School in Dothan, AL
· Darryl Waters – 6’4 245 pounds. Strongside defensive end. Coffeyville C.C. in Coffeyville, KS