As we approach National Signing Day, it’s important to take a step back and remember just how crazy the recruiting process can be. One big commitment or disappointing decommitment should not get you too up or too down. This last week, UAB had a few players drop their verbal commitment, but they also picked up a couple new commitments from players who were on their official visits.
If you do not handle stress well, you might as well stay off social media and your team’s message board until after players begin signing the dotted line on Wednesday, February 3. However, if you’re one of those thrill seekers who enjoy the roller coaster ride of college recruiting, here’s everything you need to know from this past week or so.
Visitors This Past Weekend:
- Tyler Johnston (2016) – Johnston “Alabama’s Mr. Football” is a 6-foot-2, 212 pound quarterback from Spanish Fort, Ala. He has been committed to UAB since later November.
- Joseph Putu (2016) – Putu is a 6-foot-2, 195 pound cornerback from Wahpeton, N.D. The JUCO defensive back just received an offer from the Blazers last week.
- Marquis Wimberly (2016) – Wimberly is a 6-foot, 200 pound JUCO wide receiver from Victorville, Calif. Wimberly is a big time target for the Blazers who has a total of 10 offers. As mentioned in last week’s blog, UNLV is thought to be the favorite. However, the UAB coaching staff hinted at landing a soft verbal commitment from the talented wide receiver on Sunday morning. Drew Champlin from aldotcom reports that Wimberly will make his decision public February 3.
- Robert Adams (2016) – Adams is a 6-foot-3, 190 pound wide receiver from Trinity Presbyterian School in Montgomery, Ala. He has five total offers from UAB, Air Force, Jacksonville State, Murray State, and Nevada.
- Michael Wright (2016) – Wright is a 6-foot-4, 250 pound defensive end from Houston, Texas. According to Champlin, Wright gave the UAB coaching staff a verbal commitment on Saturday. UAB appears to be his only offer at this time.
- Demetrius Davis (2016) – Davis is a 5-foot-10, 175 pound athlete from Huffman High in Birmingham, Ala. The local high school prospect has 11 total scholarship offers, with Mississippi State leading the pack. He visited Troy last weekend and has a schedule setup for Western Kentucky next weekend.
- Denzel Mitchell (2016) – Mitchell is a 5-foot-10, 197 pound running back from Hamilton, Ala. He was the surprise commitment of the weekend. If you haven’t heard of Mitchell before, do a quick Google search and you’ll quickly find out the Blazers are getting a good one! The former Ole Miss commit suffered a late injury, thus opening the door for someone else to come in and land his services That someone was Bill Clark, who has convinced Mitchell to walk on at UAB. If Mitchell fully recovers, look for him to make an impact from day one.
- Thomas Johnston (2017) (unofficial) – Johnston is a 6-foot-2, 215 pound outside linebacker from Spanish Fort, Ala. He is the brother of UAB commit, Tyler Johnston.
- Kevin Howard (2017) (unofficial) – Howard is a 6-foot-3, 200 pound wide receiver from Gardendale, Ala. He is still looking for his first Division 1 offer and continues to express a lot of interest in staying close to home and playing for the Blazers.
- Eugene Minter (2017) (unofficial) – Minter is a 6-foot-4, 200 pound wide receiver from A.H. Parker High in Birmingham, Ala. He is drawing interest from Florida, Jacksonville State, and Alabama. The athletic wide receiver mirrors his game after his role model – De’Runnya Wilson of Mississippi State.
- Bayley Blanchard (unofficial) – Blanchard is a 6-foot-1, 180 pound wide receiver/strong safety Piedmont High in Piedmont, Ala.
- Ryan Johnson (2017) – Johnson is a 6-foot-4, 240 pound defensive end from Mobile, Ala. The scholarship offer by the Blazers is Johnson’s 20th overall. Auburn leads the pack early in the recruiting process for the borderline top 150 recruit.
- Michael Scott (2017) – Scott is a 6-foot-3, 220 pound outside linebacker from Tallahassee, Fla. There are no early favorites for the talented linebacker, but he does have a total of six scholarship offers including Charlotte, Florida A&M, Georgia Southern, South Alabama, and Tulane. Look for UAB to attempt a “package deal” as they are targeting his high school teammate Jay Harrison (2017) as well.
- Tadarrius Patterson (2017) – Patterson is a 6-foot-1, 211 pound outside linebacker from Birmingham, Ala. The Carver High prospect has an impressive list of schools recruiting him, but the one that is in the lead is Kentucky. Kentucky and Mississippi State are the lone SEC schools to offer Patterson so far, but I anticipate that will change this summer. UAB is in hot pursuit along with MTSU, Troy, and Southern Miss.
- D.J. Brown (2017) – Brown is a 6-foot, 175 pound cornerback from Fairburn, Ga. The rising senior has had an incredible month picking up an additional four scholarship offers from UAB, Tulane, Ohio University, and Wake Forest. The Blazers will need to focus in on Brown if they wish to keep his interest going forward.
- Bradley Jennings (2017) – Jennings is a 6-foot-2, 215 pound outside linebacker from Jacksonville, Fla. The Blazers have been recruiting hard in the Sunshine State recently but will need to be prepared for an absolute battle royal for this talented prospect. Jennings, who already committed to Florida State on December 31, has offers from Duke, Indiana, Louisville, North Carolina, Toledo, and many more. His recruitment should continue to skyrocket.
- Jay Harrison (2017) – Harrison is a 6-foot, 215 pound inside linebacker from Tallahassee, Fla. Harrison’s first Division 1 offer came from UAB, but he does have interest from several schools in Florida including Florida, FAU, South Florida, and UCF. Main recruiter appears to be Linebackers Coach Brian Williams. *Teammates with UAB target, Michael Scott (2017).
- Kalon Gervin (2018) – Gervin is a 5-foot-11, 170 pound athlete from Detroit, Mich. The youngster still has two years of high school ball remaining, but he does already hold six offers. The Detroit native has drawn interest already from both Michigan State and Michigan, while hauling in offers from Akron, Illinois, Iowa State, and Penn State.
- Brandon Rogers (2016) received a call and an in-home visit from Coach Koenning and the Blazers last week. Rogers, a Southern Miss commit, is a 5-foot-9, 170 pound wide receiver from Vigor High School in Mobile, Ala. The visit from Coach Koenning may have came too late, as Rogers announced on Twitter this weekend that he is firmly committed to USM.
- UAB wide receiver coach, Casey Woods visited Anthony Cruz at his JUCO in New York, N.Y. on Thursday, January 21. Cruz is listed as a quarterback, but he could be being recruiting to play another position as wide receiver at the D1 level.
- Luke Long (2016) committed to UAB on Tuesday, January 19. The 6-foot-3, 290 pound offensive guard is a senior at Glencoe High School in Gadsden, Ala. It is unclear at this time whether he has accepted a walk-on invitation or an official scholarship offer.
- Coach Mike Bennefield visited UAB commit, Tyler Marshall, at his school on Tuesday, January 19.
- Cameron Mackey (2016), a talented all-purpose back mentioned in the January 12 recruiting update committed to Youngstown State on January 17.
- Andrew Marshall, Maquedius “Quay” Bain, and Jonathan Charles decommitted this past week. All were expected to sign next month.
Scheduled Visitors for This Upcoming Weekend, January 29-31:
- Chris Woolbright (2016) continues to show interest in UAB via social media. Woolbright is a 6-foot-3, 230 pound JUCO outside linebacker for the Fresno City College Rams in Fresno, Calif.
- Malik Williams (2016) 6-foot-3, 215 pound running back from Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria, Calif. Williams visited Louisville this past weekend, and they are thought to be the favorite to land the talented athlete. Coach Bill Clark and his staff hope to steal one from the Cardinals this upcoming weekend.
Spring 2016 Commits:
- Earl Chambers 6-foot-2, 195 pound safety from Merced College in Merced, CA
- Jordan Jamison 6-foot-7, 320 pound offensive tackle from Lafayette High in Oxford, MS
- Malique Johnson 6-foot-3, 315 pound offensive guard from Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, IA
- William Johnson 6-foot-3, 220 pound outside linebacker from Arizona Western College in Yuma, AZ
- Tyler Johnston 6-foot-2, 212 pound dual threat quarterback from Spanish Fort High in Spanish Fort, AL
- Tyler Marshall 6-foot-5, 225 pound pro style quarterback from Northview High in Dothan, AL
- Garrison Mitchell 6-foot-1, 193 pound defensive back/wide receiver from Blinn College in Beaumont, TX
- Darryl Waters 6-foot-4, 245 pound strongside defensive end from Coffeyville Community College in Coffeyville, KS
- Marquis Wimberly 6-foot, 200 pound wide receiver from Chaffey C.C. in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- *Keontre’ Toles 5-foot-9, 235 pound linebacker from Lafayette High in Oxford, MS
- *Kylen Binn 6-foot-6, 230 pound quarterback from Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, KS
- *Luke Long 6-foot-3, 290 pound offensive guard from Glencoe High in Gadsden, AL
- *Denzel Mitchell (2016) 5-foot-10, 197 pound running back from Hamilton High in Hamilton, AL
* Players are expected to sign as preferred walk-ons
- Robert Adams 6-foot-3, 190 pound wide receiver from Trinity Presbyterian School in Montgomery, AL
- Maquedius “Quay” Bain 6-foot-4, 300 pound defensive tackle from Pearl River Community College in Poplarsville, MS
- Jonathan Charles 6-foot-1, 240 pound inside linebacker from Los Angeles Valley College in Van Nuys, Calif.
- Corey Davis 6-foot-2, 210 pound wide receiver from East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, MS
- Demetrius Davis 5-foot-10, 175 pound athlete from Huffman High in Birmingham, AL
- Greg Fecanin 6-foot-3, 300 pound center from Clay Chalkville High in Birmingham, AL
- Chris Hawkins: 6-foot-5, 290 offensive tackle from Nassau Community College in Garden City, NY
Cameron Mackey 5-foot-10, 179 all purpose back from North Marion High in Citra, FL. ***Committed to Youngstown State
- Andrew Marshall 6-foot-8, 360 pound offensive tackle from Globe Institute of Technology in New York, NY
- Joseph Putu 6-foot-2, 195 pound cornerback from North Dakota State College of Science in Wahpeton, ND
- Montavious Smoke 6-foot-1, 180 pound cornerback from Highland C.C. in Highland, KS
- Ronnie Turner 6-foot-4, 187 pound wide receiver from Hartnell College in Salinas, Calif.
- Xavier Ubosi 6-foot-4, 200 pound wide receiver from Pierce College in Woodland Hills, Calif.
- Andre Wilson 5-foot-10, 175 pound wide receiver from Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, TX
- Malik Williams 6-foot-3, 215 pound running back from Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria, Calif.
- Christopher Woolbright 6-foot-3, 230 pound outside linebacker from Fresno City College in Fresno, Calif.