With all the excitement of college football’s National Signing Day behind us, it’s a good time to take a look at how the UAB men’s basketball team is doing on the recruiting trail.
Before we do so, let’s take one moment to remind everyone who has signed their letter of intent (LOI) and is set to join the team this upcoming summer.
Nate Darling 6-foot-4, 180 pound shooting guard from DeMatha Catholic High in Hyattsville, MD
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/nate-darling-82253
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osayDC4qidU
- Twitter: @natedarling14
- Latest Update: His contest on January 18 was nationally televised by ESPN. With members of the UAB coaching staff in attendance, Darling scored 11 points. One of the announcers was quoted saying UAB would have the best three-point shooting freshman in the country next season.
Javien Williams 6-foot-4, 175 pound shooting guard from Woodlawn High in Birmingham, AL
- Player Profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/javien-williams/HubX2JBOEeOzMAAmVebBJg/default.htm
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9swK5iKcM
- Twitter: @JDizzy_3
- Latest Update: Williams has attended most of UAB’s home games this season, often bringing teammates & friends with him. He was most recently in attendance for Saturday night’s blowout win against FAU. His team beat Hoover last Thursday night when he put up 18 points. He has had several other impressive performances, some on local television, including a 30 point, 7 rebound game against Huffman on January 15.
Below – you’ll see a list of targets in the class of 2017 who have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. These are the players I have identified as UAB’s top targets at this time (in alphabetical order).
Ryan Allen 6-foot-1, 175 pound point guard at Dematha Catholic High in Hyattsville, MD
- Player Profile: http://www.hardwoodinsiders.com/page/show/2099469-ryan-allen
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrvZIRhTR4
- Twitter: _BabyRy_
- Latest Update: Allen’s recruiting has continued to pick up since he received an offer from UAB. His most recent offer was from George Mason, which he received late last month.
Garrison Brooks 6-foot-9, 215 pound power forward from Auburn High in Lafayette, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/garrison-brooks-79998
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09P2lmpXTk
- Twitter: @laflare_10
- Latest Update: Brooks was in attendance for the UAB vs. FIU home game on February 4. This was an unofficial visit, although he does plan to make an official visit to UAB later this spring. The talented big man has been busy lately as he had an unofficial with Alabama on Saturday and another unofficial with Georgia in January. Before he’ll have a chance to take any official visits, Brooks has a unique opportunity being presented to him. Just last week he was invited to play in the 2016 Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Frankfurt, Germany. Magic Johnson, Vince Carter, Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, and Tim Duncan are all big names who have previously participated in the event.
Herb Jones 6-foot-5, 175 pound point guard from Hale County High in Moundville, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/herb-jones-86694
- Twitter: _hoopinglife
- Latest Update: Jones attended the UAB vs. FAU home game for an unofficial visit February 6. He absolutely posterized a defender recently that caused his Twitter feed to blow up. The dunk can be found here:
Tyler Polley 6-foot-7, 190 pound power forward from Sagemont in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/tyler-polley-79535
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUdrErhM62o
- Twitter: @Tyler_polleyyy
- Latest Update: UAB has recently moved up Polley’s list on his player profile. While three recruiting experts have predicted that he’ll eventually end up at Florida State, they have yet to offer him. The Blazers are all in on Polley, who just put up 31 points in a win over Coral Springs earlier this month.
Alex Reese 6-foot-9, 225 pound power forward from Pelham High in Birmingham, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/alex-reese-80061
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6FYPyxdJbc
- Twitter: @akexxreese18
- Latest Update: Reese continues to rack up big numbers during his junior season. Earlier this week, Reese finished with 29 points in a 57-39 win against Gardendale. He also has games lately of 32 points and 9 rebounds in a win over Vestavia, and 24 points and 8 rebounds in a loss against Homewood. He was in attendance for UAB’s home game against Rice on January 21.
DeAndre Robinson 6-foot-6, 207 pound small forward from Monroe County High in Monroeville, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/deandre-robinson-86424
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUCQIg7OSA8
- Twitter: @Drobi_5
- Latest Update: Robinson has been an instrumental part of his team’s success this season, helping them to be the first team to host an area tournament and have 20-plus wins. They play Clarke County in the semi-finals Tuesday night.
Terryonte Thomas 6-foot-4, 205 pound shooting guard from New Hope High in Columbus, MS
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/terryonte-thomas-79823
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIa8svfvOAs
- Twitter: @1tkt4
- Latest Update: Thomas most recently listed VCU and USM as his top two favorite schools. At the end of January he cut down his total list to VCU, USM, UAB, Iowa State, Lousiana Tech, South Alabama, Alabama, and Ole Miss. On that same day he racked up a performance that included 16 assists and 14 rebounds.