The 2016 National Signing Day (NSD) is over, but that doesn’t mean UAB has completely moved onto the 2017 recruiting class. It has been noted that UAB has saved around six or seven scholarships that could be handed out anywhere between now and August. Since the Blazers aren’t done recruiting in 2016, let’s take a quick look at a few updates since NSD.
Justin Glassford 5-foot-10, 170 pound DB/WR from Westbrook Christian High in Rainbow City, AL
- Player Profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/175655
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4451127/highlights/285907468
- Twitter: @J_Glassford2
- Latest Update: Announced he would be playing football at UAB on February 8 and signed two days later. Since there has not been an official announcement, it is likely Glassford will begin his collegiate career as a walk-on in hopes of earning a full scholarship.
Mike Howland 6-foot-3, 215 pound quarterback at McQuaid Jesuit High in Rochester, NY
- Player Profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/170905
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4449769/michael-howland
- Twitter: @MikeHowland07
- Latest Update: Announced he would be playing football at UAB on February 4. Since there has not been an official announcement, it is likely Howland will begin his collegiate career as a walk-on in hopes of earning a full scholarship.
James Noble 5-foot-7, 175 pound running back Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Player Profile: http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/james_noble_iii_859691.html
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1754713/highlights/289642382
- Twitter: @thatrain05
- Latest Update: Committed to UAB as a preferred walk-on earlier this month. He’ll join former teammate and UAB signee, Marquis Wimberly, in Birmingham this summer. Noble began his collegiate career at Fresno State University where he redshirted as a freshman in 2013.
James Story 5-foot-8, 180 pound linebacker from Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, GA
- Player Profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/james-story/SKrO9URZEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm
- Latest Update: Cadet Sergeant Story decided earlier this month to walk-on at UAB. Story, who goes by “Prince,” will look to earn a degree in communications in hopes of one day becoming a sports journalist.
The 2017 recruiting class for UAB will have a different look to it compared to 2016. While UAB targeted mostly JUCO players for 2016, they will need to go heavy on high school prospects to balance out the classes. Below, you’ll see a list of players who have expressed interest in UAB since NSD.
KJ Britt 6-foot-1, 217 pound linebacker at Oxford High in Oxford, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/kenney-britt-84618
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3445596/kenney-britt
- Twitter: @K_Britt10
- Latest Update: Picked up an offer from UAB on February 4. Since then he has received offers from Southern Miss, Troy, and Iowa State. Britt is set to go on an unofficial visit to Auburn on Saturday, February 20.
Gajuan Davis 6-foot-1, 210 pound linebacker from Carroll High in Ozark, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Gajuan-Davis-89100
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2977227/highlights/304642424
- Twitter: @Gajuan_14
- Latest Update: Received his first Division 1 offer from UAB on February 10. Will attend Junior Days at UAB on February 20, and Troy on February 27.
Tyler Fannin 6-foot-3, 290 pound center from Mill Creek High in Hoschton, GA
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Fannin-76520
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3275854/tyler-fannin
- Twitter: @FanninTyler
- Latest Update: Fannin’s recruiting has skyrocketed this month as he has picked up offers from UAB, Arkansas State, Illinois, Marshall, Southern Miss, and Western Kentucky. He boasts an impressive 15 Division 1 scholarship offers, and it appears this is only the beginning for the talented prospect.
Jacob Free 6-foot-5, 200 pound quarterback from Brantley High in Brantley, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/jacob-free-77172
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3111727/jacob-free
- Twitter: @Jacob_Free
- Latest Update: He now holds a total of five Division 1 offers, including UAB, Louisville, Old Dominion, Temple, and Troy
Jake Higman 5-foot-11, 175 pound wide receiver from Prattville High in Montgomery, AL
- Player Profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/176162
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3852742/jake-higman
- Twitter: @higmanjake
- Latest Update: Attending UAB’s Junior Day on February 20. Higman will also be making a trip to Dallas, Texas for the annual Nike+ Football The Opening Rating Day in March.
Kevin Howard 6-foot-3, 200 pound wide receiver from Gardendale High in Birmingham, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/kevin-howard-86542
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3906363/kevin-howard
- Twitter: @KevinWHoward13
- Latest Update: Attended Junior Day at Mississippi State on Saturday, February 13. Howard also spoke with UA wide receivers coach, Billy Napier, earlier this month.
Eugene Minter Jr. 6-foot, 4, 190 pound wide receiver from Parker High in Birmingham, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/eugene-minter-88502
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4102163/eugene-minter
- Twitter: @EugeneMinterjr
- Latest Update: Minter’s recruiting has been picking up recently. He received an offer from Samford on February 2. This was his second Division 1 offer; Troy offered him last month. Minter had an unofficial visit to UAB on Saturday, February 6 and attended Mississippi State’s Junior Day this past weekend. He has also been invited to attend WKU’s Junior Day later this month, as well as an unofficial visit to Samford on February 26.
Tadarrius Patterson 6-foot-1, 211 pound linebacker from Carver High in Birmingham, AL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/tadarrius-patterson-80767
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3274530/tadarrius-patterson-
- Twitter: @tadarrius_7
- Latest Updates: UAB beat writer, Drew Champlin, wrote an article on February 9 highlighting Patterson’s recruiting process up to this point. Champlin noted that although Patterson is receiving SEC offers and interest from Big Ten and Big 12 universities, UAB is still in his top five schools of interest. The other schools in his top five are Mississippi State, Kentucky, Indiana, and Troy. Patterson visited Mississippi State for their Junior Day this past weekend and also has an unofficial visit set up at Louisville later this week.
Ronald Rudd 6-foot-7, 308 pound offensive tackle from Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/player/ronald-rudd-89043
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3594142/ronald-rudd-iii
- Twitter: @bigtymeballa000
- Latest Update: The big fella’s list of offers continues to grow as he picked up an additional seven in February alone. He now holds offers from UAB, Louisville, Memphis, Missouri, Southern University, SMU, and Washington State. UAB will hope the signings of Marquis Wimberly and James Noble, both from Chaffey College, will help convince Rudd to join them on the Southside.
Tucker Walters 6-foot-2, 285 pound center from Bob Jones High in Madison, AL
- Player Profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/184882
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1o_sCPW_c&feature=youtu.be
- Twitter: @TuckerWalters
- Latest Update: Will attend Junior Days at UAB on February 20 and Troy on February 27. Walters also had an unofficial visit to Louisville on February 6.
UAB Blazer Bloggin’ will continue alternating football and basketball recruiting updates each week. Let us know if you like the current format of the updates and if there’s anything you would change or like to have added in the content.