Alex Reese – In the month of April, three basketball experts via 247sports.com predicted Reese would eventually sign with either Alabama or Vanderbilt. Also in the month of April, Reese had in-home visits from UAB, Alabama, & Auburn. He breaks down those visits in a Rivals.com article. In this article he had the following to say about UAB, “That was big time for Rob Ehsan to get his first head coaching job. I like how he came in and talked about the style of play and how they could use me at the four.”
Dedric Boyd (new prospect) 6-foot-4 180 pound shooting guard from Haywood High in Brownsville, TN
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Dedric-Boyd-91696
- Highlights: http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/640488?referrer_id=1156386
- Twitter: @dboyd20_
- Latest Update: Boyd’s recruiting has really picked up here in the month of April with offers coming in from UAB, Eastern Kentucky, Murray State, & Tennessee Tech. He recently put up 38 points in an AAU contest against Steph Curry’s team, Splash City. After watching a few videos of Boyd, he clearly demonstrated he can score in a multitude of ways. He has range extending beyond the three-point line, but he also showed the ability to hit mid-range jumpers & drive to the basket.
Garrison Brooks added another offer – this time from Florida Gulf Coast University.
Peyton Broughton continues to put up big numbers for his AAU team. In one of his latest contests he finished with 18 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks, & 3 steals. Check out his junior season highlights here.
Jacob Gilyard 5-foot-10, 150 pound point guard from Barstow High in Kansas City, MO
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jacob-gilyard
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFiH9DuVXU
- Twitter: @G1LYARD
- Latest Update: Gilyard’s offer list now consists of UAB, American, LIU, Portland, Richmond, Stephen F. Austin, & UMKC. Both Wichita State & DePaul are also showing interest.
RaiQuan Gray – In the last week or so Gray has received offers from Clemson, Cincinnati, Florida State, Illinois, & Tennessee.
Makhtar Gueye – Gueye’s recruiting has officially taken off. After receiving his first offer from UAB, he has now picked up offers from Creighton, DePaul, Florida, UCONN, & VCU.
Luis Hurtado 6-foot-5, 175 pound point guard from Sagemont High in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Luis-Hurtado-36656
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Larp1Yznk
- Twitter: @10Luisarmandojr
- Latest Update: Hurtado is a teammate of Tyler Polley; another top target for UAB’s class of 2017. The Venezuelan native has close ties to Greivis Vasquez – who you might remember The Daily Dragon interviewing during the UAB Men’s Basketball coaching search. The connection here is that Vasquez was recruited to Maryland by now UAB head coach, Rob Ehsan. Coach Ehsan and the Blazers will have to fight off other top programs such as Florida State, Georgia, & Maryland whom have all offered Hurtado thus far.
Jamal Johnson most recently picked up an offer from Memphis.
Elijah Joiner (new prospect) 6-foot-3, 180 pound point guard from Currie High in Chicago, IL
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-joiner
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5QZvLvZ-fU
- Twitter: @slightwork11__
- Latest Update: New assistant coach, Kevin Devitt, using his Chicago ties to get UAB in the mix for Joiner – who now holds offers from programs such as: UAB, Bradley, Buffalo, DePaul, Duquesne, Green Bay, St. Bonaventure, & Winthrop. Joiner helped lead his team to a State Championship this past season.
Herb Jones is now receiving interest from both Missouri & Texas.
Cameron Krutwig 6-foot-9, 270 pound center from Harry D. Jacobs High in Algonquin, IL
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cameron-krutwig
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3362264/cameron-krutwig
- Twitter: @camkrutwig
- Latest Update: UAB has been interested in Krutwig for quite some time. He has a lot of offers already from programs such as: UAB, Belmont, Columbia, Northern Illinois, Southern Illiniois, & Toledo. We will see how his recruiting plays out, but my non-expert opinion is that he’s the kind of player UAB’s roster needs. A couple of years ago, UAB missed out on a recruit named Rokas Gustys who eventually signed with Hofstra. He, too, shares a similar frame as Krutwig (6-foot-9, 260 pounds) & didn’t blow anyone away with his athleticism. However, his tenacious rebounding and overall effort has helped him average 14 points & 13 rebounds per game this past year at Hofstra. I believe Krutwig could be that guy for UAB or whoever else he chooses to sign with.
J.P. Moorman picked up another offer – this time from East Carolina University.
Trey Doomes (new prospect) 6-foot-3, 185 pound point guard from Allatoona High in Acworth, GA
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/trey-doomes
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scVxwZ5rY4
- Twitter: @sauceteam23
- Latest Update: UAB is showing interest in Doomes as are schools such as: Clemson, Tennessee, College of Charleston, Florida, Georgia, & Iowa State. His lone offer at this time is from Kennesaw State, but the offers should begin coming in for Doomes if he has a good spring/summer.
Myreon Jones, Jr. most recently received an offer from Samford University. He now holds a total of three Division 1 offers: UAB, New Mexico State, & Samford. UA, AU, MTSU, Murray State, & Texas are all showing interest.
Christian Lorng (new prospect) 6-foot-10 center from Wesley Christian in Allen, KY
- Player Profile: http://verbalcommits.com/players/christian-lorng
- Latest Update: Lorng is a relatively unknown prospect at this point. Originally from the Ivory Coast, Lorng has caught the eye of a few college programs – which is not hard to imagine given his size. UAB was the first to offer the big man, but he’s also receiving interest from Missouri.
Shamarie McLeod (new prospect) 6-foot-5, 170 pound guard/forward from Shiloh High in Snellville, GA
- Player Profile: http://verbalcommits.com/players/shamarie-mcleod
- Twitter: @toponeday
- Latest Update: McLeod is known as a defensive specialist, but he can score the ball as well. UAB offered him last week, which was McLeod’s second Division 1 offer; the first coming from Miami (OH) last summer.
Anquavious Pollard (new prospect) 6-foot-7 small forward from Lanett High in Lanett, AL
- Latest Update: Pollard is a talented in-state prospect. There isn’t a lot of information available on Pollard yet, but that should change as he plays another summer of AAU ball. UAB is showing interest in addition to Auburn, Oklahoma, & Temple. BamaMixtape has him ranked as the #4 player in the state for the class of 2018.
Zachary Scott most recently picked up an offer from Florida Gulf Coast University.