*** Each player’s name is a link to more information of the player’s background from third party sources.***
Nick Holman (transfer) 6-foot-2, 230 pound linebacker via South Florida University. The Madison, AL native played at Bob Jones HS & originally chose the Bulls over UAB back in 2013. He redshirted in 2014 and played in 11 contests during the 2015 season. Before transferring from USF this spring, Holman was projected to be a backup this upcoming season.
Collin Lisa – Lisa is returning back to UAB after spending 1 season at Buffalo. Lisa was originally a Garrick McGee recruit who was convinced to stick with the Blazers once Coach Clark too over. He played sparingly in his Freshman season at UAB but made an immediate impact for the Buffalo Bulls where he caught 31 passes for 325 yards and 2 touchdowns.
Steve Pickren (transfer) is returning to UAB after spending one season at the University of Tennessee Chatanooga (UTC). The 6-foot-5, 260 pound tight end will have 1 year of eligibility remaining when the Blazers take the field in 2017.
Broderick Thomas (signee) – Thomas signed his NLI and is set to report to UAB on June 26th.
Jaylond Adams – Adams’ most recent offers are from Indiana and MTSU.
Destra Benoit (new prospect) 5-foot-8, 155 pound athlete from South Broward HS in Hollywood, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Destra-Benoit-89346
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3887195/destra-benoit
- Twitter: @last_vonn_breed
- Latest Update: Benoit’s 3 D1 offers at this time are from UAB, Lehigh, & Miami (OH).
Thair Blakes (new prospect) 6-foot-5, 235 pound tight end from Scottsdale Community College in Scottsdale, AZ
- Player Profile: http://www.scout.com/player/168018-thair-blakes/recruiting?year=2015
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4662180/thair-blakes
- Twitter: @tbblakes11
- Latest Update: Blakes had an unofficial visit at UAB on Friday, May 20th. He was joined by his teammate and fellow UAB prospect, Natrell Curtis. Curtis has since committed to UAB but Blakes has yet to make a decision. He currently holds offers from UAB & Missouri State while he is also receiving interest from Northern Arizona (NAU).
Hunter Brannon – Tulane was the most recent school to reach out and offer Brannon.
Cam Brown – UAB set a trend when first offering Brown last month. He has since picked up offers from Akron, Appalachian State, Kent State, Mercer, & Western Carolina.
Rishard Cook (new prospect) 6-foot-3, 360 pound offensive lineman from Mississippi Gulf Community College in Perkinston, MS
- Player Profile: http://mgcccbulldogs.com/sports/fball/2015-16/bios/cook_rishard_ked
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6346312/rishard-cook
- Twitter: @3hunna_RC75
- Latest Update: UAB was the latest school to offer Cook – whom also holds offers from Louisiana Monroe & Troy.
Natrell Curtis (verbal commit) – Curtis had an unofficial visit at UAB on Friday, May 20th. He verbally committed to UAB less than one week later. The former Oklahoma signee originally chose to Sooners over other suitors such as Arizona, Nebraska, Notre Dame, & Ohio State. Curtis has been working hard to get his weight down; he is down 50 pounds. He chose the Blazers over Akron, Eastern Illinois, & Grambling State.
Gajuan Davis – Davis continues to pick up offers – this time from the likes of Memphis, Troy, & Western Kentucky.
Bentley Easley (new prospect) 6-foot-3, 320 pound defensive tackle from Coffeyville Community College in Coffeyville, KS
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Bentley-Easley-85919
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1762725/bentley-easley
- Twitter: @_BigBent
- Latest Update: Picked up an offer from UAB and took an unofficial visit to UMASS last Thursday, whom he also holds an offer from.
Jack Franklin – Army is the most recent school to extend an offer to Franklin.
Stephon Huderson (new prospect) 5-foot-10, 185 pound running back from Petal HS in Petal, MS
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Stephon-Huderson-91243
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3909931/stephon-huderson
- Twitter: @Huderson_x8
- Latest Update: Huderson was on the campus of UAB for an unofficial visit last week. He has not picked up an offer from the Blazers yet, however, he does boast offers from Austin Peay, Charleston Southern, Nicholls State, Southeastern LA, & Troy.
Thomas Johnston – Although Johnston continues to gain interest from some of the top programs in the country, the possibility is still there for him to attend UAB and play college football with his brother, Tyler Johnston. In a recent article by Ben Thomas of AL.com, the younger Thomas had this to say, “That certainly has been our dream to play together in college, but I also have chances now to go places that could fulfill other lifetime dreams so we will see,” Thomas said. “I haven’t ruled out any options.” He had an unofficial visit at UA earlier this week.
Tony Jones – Picked up an offer from Texas Tech.
Anfernee Jordan – Jordan first visited UAB last December. He is planning on visiting UAB again this month along with Cornell.
Khalil Keith – After receiving an offer from UAB in early May, Keith has since picked up offers from Austin Peay, Cincinnati, Memphis, UTM, Wake Forest, & WKU.
Jamauri Laguerre (new prospect) 6-foot, 180 pound defensive back from Edison HS in Miami, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Jamauri-Laguerre-89232
- Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjMHX3d1wI
- Twitter: @J_Laguerre6
- Latest Update: Picked up an offer from UAB. He already holds offers from Idaho, Southern University, & Tennessee State.
Moris Lugo (new prospect) 6-foot, 205 linebacker from Miami Carol City in Opa Locka, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Moris-Lugo-89738
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4068635/moris-lugo
- Twitter: @BeastMo17
- Latest Update: UAB joins Akron, FAU, FIU, & Liberty on the list of teams whom have offered Lugo. Lugo has had a busy Spring with unofficial visits to programs such as: FAU, NIU, Notre Dame, & Western Michigan.
Travon Mathis – Picked up an offer from Appalachian State.
Eugene Minter, Jr. – The offer list continues to grow for Minter – who received offers from Alabama A&M, Presbyterian, Tennessee Tech, & WKU since our last update.
Joey Palmer – Palmer is off the board after committing to Louisville on a visit early this month. He had recently visited Cincinnati & Toledo as well as picked up an offer from Arkansas State before making his final decision.
Tadarrius Patterson – Patterson, too, is off the board after committing to Louisiville. He was a “soft verbal” for other a month after taking an unofficial visit. His plan is to graduate from Carver HS in December 2016 and enroll at Louisville in January 2017.
Darius Pittman – Since our last update Pittman has received offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe, & Tulane.
Kris Reed – Picked up offers from Alcorn State & Tennessee Martin.
Will Ulmer – Picked up an offer from Illinois.
Will Wallace (new prospect) 6-foot-4, 240 pound tight end from Cathedral HS in Natchez, MS
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Will-Wallace-89532
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2980595/will-wallace
- Twitter: @willwallace7
- Latest Update: Wallace’s offer list consists of UAB, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Kansas, Louisiana Tech, Samford, Southern Miss, & Tulane. He plays both the tight end and defensive end positions.
Tyler Williams – Committed to Mississippi State.
Mike Young – Bowling Green & Charlotte both reached out and offered Young.
Eddie Brown (new prospect) 5-foot-9, 176 pound safety from Prattville HS in Prattville, AL
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5467401/eddie-brown
- Twitter: @eddie8brown
- Latest Update: Brown had an unofficial visit at UAB earlier this week.
Demetrius Mayes, Jr. (new prospect) 6-foot-2, 220 pound athlete from Northwestern HS in Miami, FL
- Twitter: @Kvnggdee0
- Latest Update: UAB was the second D1 school to offer Mayes – who already held an offer from FAU.
Davontae McCrae (new prospect) 6-foot-4, 235 pound defensive end from Northwestern HS in Miami, FL
- Twitter: @D1_Vontae
- Latest Update: UAB was the first D1 school to extend an offer to McCrae. Coach Brian Williams is his main recruiter.
Jason Mercier (new prospect) 6-foot-5, 225 pound defensive end from Boynton Beach HS in Boynton Beach, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Jason-Mercier-91799
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5333021/jason-mercier
- Twitter: @Mercier801
- Latest Update: UAB, along with FAU & Louisville, have extended offers to Mercier this spring.
IN OTHER NEWS…
Two December 2015 signees are no longer listed on UAB’s football roster.
- Shaq Jones – According to Jones’ Twitter account, he is now enrolled at Garden City Community College in KS. It is unknown why he is no longer on the team.
- Chett Levay – Unlike Jones, I am unsure where Levay is at these days. He was thought to be one of the steals of the December 2015 signing class.
February 2016 signees are beginning to arrive on campus. I can confirm Darryl Waters and Joel Dixon are two of the Spring signees who have officially arrived at UAB.