Evan Battey (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 290 pound center from Villa Park HS in Villa Park, Calif.
- Player Profile: http://verbalcommits.com/players/evan-battey
- Highlights: Twitter: @EBduece4
- Latest Update: UAB is the latest to offer Battey – who now boasts offers from Cal State Fullerton, DePaul, Drexel, Fresno State, James Madison, Loyola Marymount, Montana State, Nevada, New Mexico, Purdue, San Diego, San Jose State, Southern Utah, UAB, & Utah State.
Garrison Brooks – Brooks’s stock has skyrocketed as of late with offers rolling in from Arkansas, Arizona State, Pittsburgh, Providence, Texas A&M, & VCU. He also took an unofficial visit to Georgia Tech in late June and picked up an offer while on campus.
Zack Bryant – Bryant is performing well during his final July evaluation period. UAB is still thought to very much be in the running for him – as are both Clemson & Iowa State.
Dedric Boyd – Picked up offers from Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU), Tennessee Chattanooga (UTC) & Tennessee Martin (UTM) He had a 17 point outing in an AAU game this past weekend.
Justin Forrest – Picked up offers from Albany, Indiana State, Jacksonville University, Louisiana Monroe, Tennessee Martin (UTM), Towson, Troy, Winthrop, & Wofford. UAB attended at least one of his AAU games this past week – along with Wichita State.
Evan Gilyard – Gilyard has become a priority for the UAB coaching staff in recent months as they look to replace senior Denzell Watts. The Chicago, Ill. native is known as a lockdown defender with excellent speed & overall court vision. The last point guard UAB had from Chicago, Ill. finished his career as the Blazers all-time assist leader. Judging by Gilyard’s highlight videos and overall scouting report, I could foresee him being the type of player who would take that record as a challenge & help UAB continue winning championships on the Southside. Dayton, Rhode Island, & Southern Illinois are other schools in the mix.
Makhtar Gueye – Picked up offers from Howard & Old Dominion.
Cameron Krutwig – ECU & Kent State offers.
Jamal Johnson – Made the 2016 NBA Top 100 Camp roster. While Alabama’s top target is John Petty and Auburn’s top target is Austin Wiley, it appears Jamal Johnson is emerging as the Blazer’s top in-state target for the c/o 2017. The Blazers, of course, have their eyes set on Herb Jones & Alex Reese as well. In fact, UAB has the scholarships to land all three if the stars align. A lot can and will happen between now & November, but one thing is for certain – the next domino to fall will be crucial in determining the overall fate of the remaining top in-state prospects. Blazer fans are hoping Johnson will be that guy and help recruit his AAU teammate, Alex Reese, to join him on the Southside.
Elijah Joiner – Offer list consists of: UAB, DePaul, Illinois State, Iowa State, Saint Louis, & Tulsa. Drawing interest from Butler & Iowa State.
Herb Jones – The most recent schools to offer Jones are Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, South Alabama, & Western Kentucky. Jones put on a show on the offensive side of the ball for the Alabama Challenge this past weekend. In a win against the Georgia Stars last Friday, Jones finished with 28 points on 9-19 shooting from the field to go along with 6 rebounds. Scouts left the AAU event amazed with his production and some of the top coaching staffs in the country are now expressing interest in him, including Kansas.
Simeon Kirkland – Picked up offers from Jacksonville, Mercer, Tennessee Tech, & UNC Wilmington.
Terrence Lewis – Lewis is the cousin of former UAB player, Marques Lewis. If you don’t remember Marques or have not been following UAB basketball for that long, he played two seasons for the Blazers (2003-2004 & 2004-2005). He was a part of the famous UAB team who defeated #1 seed Kentucky & made it to the NCAA Sweet 16. Terrence is a big time prospect (ranked #65 on the ESPN top 100 for the c/o 2017) – one that already boasts offers from UAB, Auburn, DePaul, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, & UNLV. The schools high on his list are Auburn, Iowa State, Oregon, & Xavier, all of which he plans on visiting in the fall. The UAB coaching staff will hope to make a push and get Terrence on campus some time in the near future.
Josh Linder (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 195 pound power forward from Veterans HS in Kathleen, GA
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/josh-linder
- Latest Update: Linder has played at a high level this July for his AAU team, the Smyrna Stars. His production has led to a total of 15 new offers in the month of July. The list of schools include: Arkansas, Arkansas Little Rock (UALR), College of Charleston, Columbia State, ECU, FGCU, FIU, Georgia State, Kansas State, Middle Tennessee State, Murray State, Tennessee Chattanooga (UTC), Tennessee Tech, UAB, & UNC Asheville.
Tavin Lovan – UAB jumped on the Lovan bandwagon last month. Lovan – who already holds offers from Eastern Kentucky, Western Kentucky, & Winthrop – is drawing interest from UAB, Arkansas, Auburn, La Salle, North Carolina Greensboro, & Vanderbilt.
JP Moorman – UNC Wilmington offer.
Tyler Polley – Polley’s recruitment has been on fire in the month of July as he has picked up offers from Dayton, Rhode Island, St. Louis, & TCU. His performances on the court the past week had scouts talking him up on social media. One of those performances consisted of his dropping 31 points on 6-of-8 from downtown. Coaches from all over – including UAB, Boston College, Clemson, Dayton, & Florida State were on hand to watch him.
Alex Reese – Picked up an offer from Georgia Tech.
Quentin Scott 6-foot-7, 215 pound small forward from Ellender HS in Houma, LA
- Player Profile: https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/quentin-scott-sg-2016
- Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3385419/quentin-scott
- Twitter: @_Quee5
- Latest Update: We posted about Scott back in April thinking he might be a c/o 2016 target, however, it’s now clear he is in fact a c/o 2017 prospect. UAB went to see him at his high school in Louisiana back in April, but it’s unclear how much contact they have had since. Tennessee Martin (UTM) offered Scott earlier this month.
Galin Smith (new prospect) 6-foot-10, 220 pound power forward from Clinton HS in Clinton, MS
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Galin-Smith-91452
- Twitter: @GalinSmith30
- Latest Update: Picked up offers from Alabama, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, & Tulane. The number of offers Smith holds now totals 16. The game plan for him is to release a list of top schools by the end of the summer, which UAB stands a great chance of being alone – along with Alabama, LSU, & Ole Miss. He averaged 21.7 points, 11.3 rebounds, 5.1 blocks, & 1.5 assists per game his junior season.
Brian Thomas – Thomas is one of the more recent prospects to visit UAB. His unofficial visit was June 18 and he left UAB’s campus with an official offer from the Blazer coaching staff. The following week he took another unofficial visit, this time to Mississippi State. Lastly – he picked up an offer from Cincinnati.
Terryonte Thomas – Took two unofficial visits in late June; One to Murray State and the other to Louisiana Tech.
Mohammed Abdulsalam (new prospect) 6-foot-9, 250 pound center from Greenforest HS in Decatur, GA
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Mohammed-Abdulsalam-94277
- Twitter: @mohammedarteta
- Latest Update: Abdulsalam plays for a power house high school program in Georgia – Greenforest Academy – the same school Tosin Mehinti attended before signing with UAB. Greenforest Academy is loaded with talent and Abdulsalam is no exception. I’ve seen different height/weight numbers – anything from 6-foot-7 to 6-foot-9 and 225 to 268 pounds. UAB will have a lot of competition for Abdulsalam as he has received offers from Georgia Tech & Providence in the last month or so.
Michael Barber (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 200 pound small forward from Jackson Academy in Jackson, MS
- Player Profile: http://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-barber
- Twitter: @mbreezy269
- Latest Update: UAB is the latest to offer Barber – who now boasts offers from Baylor, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Ohio State, & UTM.
Yor Anei (new prospect) 6-foot-9, 200 pound power forward from South HS in Shawnee Mission, KS
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/yor-anei
- Twitter: @yor_anei
- Latest Update: UAB was the latest to offer Anei – who plays AAU for the KC Run GMC (MO). With a 7-foot-2 wingspan and an impressive July on the AAU circuit, his number of offers should continue to rise.
PJ Byrd – Picked up an offer from Incarnate World (UIW) and took an unofficial visit to Georgia Tech in mid June.
Darius Days (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 218 pound power forward from The Rock School in Gainesville, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Darius-Days-89549
- Twitter: @Almighty_Doubl3
- Latest Update: Picked up an offer from UAB. Already holds offers from VCU & Virginia Tech.
Trey Doomes – Picked up offers from Auburn, Georgia, & Tennessee Tech and took an unofficial visit to Georgia Tech in late June.
Javian Fleming – Picked up an offer from MTSU.
Trey Jemison – Picked up offers from Alabama & Liberty.
Myreon Jones, Jr. – Murray State was the most recent to offer. Hearing from UAB, Arkansas, Murray State, & MTSU.
Nassir Little (new prospect) 6-foot-6, 195 pound small forward from Oakleaf HS in Orange Park, FL
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Nassir-Little-86026
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/NAS6PIXPeF0
- Twitter: @2ez_nassie
- Latest Update: UAB was one of the latest to offer the big time prospect from Orange Park, Fla. Little already boasts double-digit offers from schools such as Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Stanford, UCF, Virginia, & Virginia Tech. The Blazers will have a lot of competition for Little, but the coaching staff has been working on building a relationship with him for quite some time & hope that will pay off in the end.
Emanuel Littles (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 200 pound forward from Lanett HS in Lanett, AL
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/KtZ00BLm-MU
- Twitter: @_hitmanpower
- Latest Update: UAB has been in touch with Littles – as well as his high school teammate, Anquavious Pollard. Littles currently boasts offers from New Mexico State and Samford.
Berrick Jean Louis (new prospect) 6-foot-5, 180 pound guard from Lehigh HS in Lehigh Acres, FL
- Player Profile: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/berrick-jeanlouis/FOpi6WtqEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/13mn2LwTgJg
- Twitter: @Kjeanlouis33
- Latest Update: Drawing interest from UAB, East Carolina, FGCU, George Washington, & Yale.
Shamarie McLeod – Picked up an offer from James Madison.
Amanze Ngumezi (new prospect) 6-foot-7, 185 pound forward from C.A. Johnson HS in Savannah, GA
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Amanze-Ngumezi-94646
- Twitter: @kiingsliimm
- Latest Update: Recruiting is just starting to pick up for Ngumezi – who received his first two offers from Rutgers and UAB last week.
Chimezie Offurum (new prospect) 6-foot-6, 200 pound small forward from Georgetown Prep in Washington, DC
- Player Profile: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/chimezie-offurum
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/pekkbJUTRm0
- Latest Update: UAB was the latest to offer.
Tyrese Radford (new prospect) 6-foot-2, 180 pound guard from McKinley HS in Baton Rouge, LA
- Player Profile: http://www.theuaassociation.com/roster_players/11979968?subseason=269864
- Highlights: http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/644416?referrer_id=1473345
- Twitter: @restongramps_
- Latest Update: Radford has been playing well for his AAU team, the Louisiana Elite. Because of his good play, UAB is now showing interest – as is Louisiana Tech, LSU, Texas Tech, UMASS, & VCU.
Ronaldo Segu – Picked up offers from Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU), FIU, Murray State, & VCU.
Zach Scott – Scott has been hearing from UAB, FGCU, Louisiana Tech, & TCU recently.
Desi Sills (new prospect) 6-foot-1, 185 pound guard from Jonesboro HS in Jonesboro, AR
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/5j04yZ0dCyI
- Twitter: @D3_TheRealDeal
- Latest Update: Picked up his first offer from UAB.
Jharon Whitfield (new prospect) 6-foot-2, 170 pound shooting guard from Madison Prep in Baton Rouge, LA
- Player Profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Jharon-Whitfield-91817
- Highlights: https://youtu.be/n5HG9GQO75g
- Twitter: @jharonnnn
- Latest Update: Receiving interest from UAB & Louisiana Tech.
Kira Lewis – Picked up offers from UAB & MTSU.
In this segment, I attempt to identify UAB’s top targets in the class of 2017 based on position.
***This is my amateur opinion and does not directly represent the UAB Men’s Basketball program.***
- Zack Bryant
- Herb Jones
- Evan Gilyard
- Justin Forrest
- Luis Hurtado
- Jamal Johnson
- Exavian Christon
- Dedric Boyd
- Tyler Polley
- Terrence Lewis
- Alex Reese
- Brian Thomas
- Garrison Brooks
- Galin Smith
- Christian Negron