- Wide Receiver Brock McCoin will join UAB this fall as a graduate transfer from Tennessee Tech. He only played in two games for Tennessee Tech last year, but caught 14 passes for 146 yards and 1 touchdown. In 2015 he led Tennessee Tech with 61 catches for 747 yards and 4 touchdowns.
- Kickoff for a road game against Southern Miss this year has been announced. The game in Hattiesburg on October 28 will start at 6 p.m. CT.
- UAB basketball will play Alabama A&M on December 16 at BJCC’s Legacy Arena. It will be part of a double-header, which will also feature Auburn playing CUSA rival Middle Tennessee. Times for these two separate games have not been announced yet.
- Garrett Whitlock ended up signing with the New York Yankees after they selected him in the 18th round of this year’s MLB Draft.
- UAB commit Ethan Lindow signed with the Philadelphia Phillies for $500,000, forgoing his pledge to play for the Blazers. He was taken in the fifth round of this year’s MLB Draft.
- The only outstanding UAB commit that was drafted is Ian McWilliams. He was taken in the 30th round by the New York Mets, but there has been no reports of him signing with the major league club yet.
- Brewer Hicklen has done it all for the AZL Royals since being assigned there. In five games he’s hitting .250 with a triple and a home run. He’s scored 8 runs — second most on the team — and driven in six. He’s also walked seven times and stolen three bases.
- James Naile is currently rehabbing in Arizona and hopes to join the Athletics Double-A team soon.
- Adam Lau has been lights out for the Salem Red Sox lately. In his last two outings he’s pitched 3.1 scoreless innings, allowing just 1 hit and 1 walk with 6 strikeouts.
- Price Visintainer was selected to be part of the CCL All-Star game. He his hitting .392 in 18 games this summer with 12 runs, a home run and 10 RBI. He’s also walked five times and stolen six bases. The infielder will be a key returner for UAB in 2018 after hitting .288 with 28 runs scored this past season.
- Ryan Ruggles was also named to a summer league All-Star team. He was selected to play in the Valley Baseball League (VBL) All-Star game on July 9 at 7:30 pm. on the campus of James Madison. He has a 3.03 ERA in 32.2 innings pitched this summer with 27 strikeouts. He should be a key piece to the UAB starting rotation in 2018.